residential fire risk assessment

Fire risk assessment Flats – What do you need?

By | fire risk assessment, residential fire risk assessment | No Comments

fire risk assessment flatsFire risk assessment flats

We often get fire risk assessment flats questions to our office! So therefore we will try to ask some of the most common questions!

Do I need a fire risk assessment in my flat?

The Fire Safety Order applies to your premises, so you will need a fire risk assessment.

Do the flats in my building need a fire alarm?

The simple answer is yes and also the alarms in the flats need to be linked.

Do we need emergency lighting in the flats?

This will depend on the complexity of the escape route. If the escape route involves a number of hallways and stairs the answer will be; yes it probably will. But if two flats discharge onto a small hallway in converted house you will not need it. This also applies to signs and notices in the premises.

If you are buying or selling a flat you solicitor may ask for a fire risk assessment. Persons should be aware that you will need plenty of time to arrange a fire risk assessment.

These very short answers to fire risk assessment flats questions may help. However if you need more information about fire risk assessments in residential buildings either call us on 0207 419 5001 or send us an email.

fire risk assessments London

Fire risk assessments in residential buildings

By | fire risk assessment, fire risk assessments, London, residential fire risk assessment | No Comments

Fire risk assessments in residential buildingsfire risk assessments in flats

The Fire Safety Order 2005 requires for fire risk assessments in residential buildings and also workplaces.

Managers of workplaces will all be aware of the need to carry out a fire risk assessment of their workplace. Landlords or flat owners also require a fire risk assessment.

The common areas of residential buildings need to have a fire risk assessment. This includes internal common areas and also external areas. Furthermore, residential buildings with a balcony approach (covered area that is open on one side) will also need a assessment.

Buying and selling flats or homes

If a person is  selling a flat, a solicitor may ask for a copy of the building fire risk assessment. This will help assure the buyer that the building is safe and also not have to pay for future works.

Many sellers of flats leave this to the last minute, but an inspection and writing a report can rarely be done with six hours notice (One recent request!). Sellers should have the fire risk assessment carried out a month or so in advance. This allows time for the inspections, report writing and carry out any remedial works required.

Landlords duties

Just like employers, landlords have legal fire safety duties and must protect their building and their occupants. It is not just a case of having extinguishers; it is also about reducing fire risk.

Landlords are required to carry out an assessment in all parts of their building, this helps look for hazards and who is at risk. Furthermore, an assessment shows what needs to be done to remove risks.

Landlords must have at least one smoke alarm on each floor of their building. They also need a carbon monoxide alarm in any room containing a solid fuel appliance. The landlord must make sure that these work at the start when a new tenant moves in.

There are also responsibilities on buildings that have no landlord. For example, a building with four flats and a common area. The four owners are all joint “responsible persons” and must meet legal requirements and maintain them.

For details of our fire risk assessments in residential buildings either call or email our team.